Volunteering allows you to connect to your community and make it a better place. … And volunteering is a two-way street: It can benefit you and your family as much as the cause you choose to help. Dedicating your time as a volunteer helps you make new friends, expand your network, and boost your social skills.
Benefits of Volunteering:
We all lead busy lives, which may lead us to ask when, where, how, and even why should I volunteer? While the benefits may be obvious to the organization receiving the help, volunteers themselves also reap rewards.
- Volunteers stay physically healthier, according to studies. They tend to cope better with everyday tasks, have better thinking skills, and even benefit from less symptoms of chronic pain.
- Volunteering as a family is a very powerful example for children, and teaches them how they can make a real difference in their communities.
- Volunteering helps to combat the effects of stress, depression, anger and anxiety. Researchers have discovered that being helpful to others delivers immense pleasure to ourselves.
Whatever volunteer opportunities you may participate in, the best gifts you can bring to the experience are an open mind, willingness to work wherever needed, and a positive attitude.
GMHC has several volunteer opportunities to choose from, and we appreciate you sharing your time and talents with us.
Family Resource Center Volunteers
Our volunteer team is critical to the success of our Family Resource Center (FRC). From stocking shelves in our Food Pantry to transporting clients to medical appointments, our volunteers are the reason why we can offer such a large variety of services and increased access to health and human services to the individuals and families we serve.
Volunteer Opportunities at the FRC:
- Unpack and stock shelves with weekly deliveries
- Pack food for individuals/families
- Deliver food locally to clients
- Pack clothes for families/agencies
- Sort and organize donations (clothing, households, etc.)
- Switch out seasonal clothes in storage
- Answer office phone and take messages when staff are out
- Transport clients to medical appointments
- Become a Certified SHIIP Counselor
- Office Housekeeping
- Community Program Activities
Please contact the FRC to discuss your availability and interest.
Outside FRC Volunteer Opportunities:
- Become a Mentor or Mentor for a Day – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mobile Food Pantry – contact email@example.com
The GMHC Auxiliary Volunteers
Founded in 1953, The GMHC Auxiliary supports the hospital in achieving its vision of transforming the health and wellness of the communities we serve with personalized and convenient care. From volunteering in the GMHC Gift Shop to helping with fundraising activities, our auxilians are invaluable to GMHC. Please note Auxiliary fundraising events are currently postponed due to COVID-19.
The Auxiliary welcomes new members throughout the year. Membership is only $10 and open to all interested adults who want to volunteer their time and talents. Whether you are a crafter, a baker, or you just enjoy people and want to help in any way possible, the Auxiliary needs you.
Meetings are held the fourth Tuesday of each month at 1:30 p.m. in the hospital Education Center.
Call (563) 252-1121 for more information on how you can make a difference in the health of our community.